The Elderly and Disabled Housing Waitlist is CLOSED. We are not accepting any applications at this time.
The HHA manages an Elderly/Disabled program of 190 units located in different parts of the town, 30 units of Congregate housing, as well as 4 Affordable Housing units. These properties are all smoke free and all units are non-smoking.
- Centerville Village has 40 units, and it is located at 51 Worth Avenue, in Hamden. It has 20 one-bedroom apartments and 20 efficiency apartments which include 4 handicapped units. It is close to the Miller Public Library as well as restaurants, stores, parks, and public transportation.
- Hamden Village has 110 units, and it is located on the corner of Treadwell & Clifford Street in Hamden. It has 30 one-bedroom apartments and 80 efficiency apartments. Hamden Village is situated on 6 acres of land and within walking distance of parks, restaurants, stores, and public transportation.
- Mount Carmel has 40 units, and it is located at 33 Woodruff Street, in Hamden. It has 4 one-bedroom apartments and 36 efficiency apartments. This property is nestled behind Whitney Avenue and within walking distance of restaurants, stores, and public transportation.
- The Affordable Housing Program, located on Morse Street, in Hamden, has two duplexes (4 units) of family housing. Each unit has two bedrooms, 1 ½ baths, kitchen, living room, full basement, deck, and a large back yard. This property is also within walking distance of restaurants, stores, parks, and public transportation.
- Our Congregate/Assisted Living Facility, for the frail elderly, is located at 33 Woodruff Street in Hamden. This facility has 30 units of housing of which 7 are one-bedroom and 23 are efficiencies. This property is nestled behind Whitney Avenue and within walking distance of restaurants, stores, and public transportation.
Eligibility - To be eligible for our housing, persons should be 62 years of age or older or persons who have been certified by the Social Security Board as being disabled under the federal Social Security Act or certified by any other federal board or agency as being totally disabled. Yearly Income cannot exceed $55,950.00 for one person or $63,950.00 for two persons. Eligibility requirements may vary, but can include:
- Annual Gross Income
- Elderly Household Status
- Disability Status
Application – Applications for Elderly/Disabled housing can only be accepted when the Waiting List has been determined OPEN. When waitlist is open the Hamden Housing Authority will post the notice on this website, notify numerous agencies, and place an Ad in the local newspapers. Applications will only be accepted and processed when returned by mail. Application information may need to be verified to continue processing the application. Applicants will be contacted to verify such information as they near the top of the waiting list. Therefore, it is extremely important that applicants keep their contact information up to date with the Hamden Housing Authority.